Removing Black Mold: The Importance of a Pressure Wash

Written by
March 29, 2019 at 4:42 pm

Man using power washer on roof of home. 

The Dangers of Black Mold

Exposure to toxic black mold can lead to a variety of different health problems. Children, the elderly, and individuals with weak immune systems are the most susceptible to toxic black mold symptoms such as difficulty breathing, mental impairment, and organ damage.

In extreme cases, exposure to toxic mold can even result in death. If toxic mold is present in your home, just breathing in its mycotoxins can inflame air passages and cause a burning sensation in one’s nose, mouth, throat or lungs.

The trichothecene mycotoxins produced by black mold are neurotoxic, meaning they can kill neurons in the brain and cause nervous disorders, potentially leading to tremors, mood swings, and changes in personality. Additionally, toxic black mold produces chemicals that suppress the immune system, making individuals more prone to illnesses and infections.

The scientific name for black mold is stachybotrys. Usually greenish-black, it is often found in areas of buildings with poor air quality and a history of water damage, growing on materials and surfaces like fiberboard, paper, dust, and lint. It can appear wet or dry, depending on whether it has a water source aiding its growth.

Black mold grows slowly in relation to other molds. The material that becomes its food source must be wet for 7–10 days before the mold begins to grow there. It takes another few days for it to fully colonize the material or surface. Because of its slow growth, it’s often more difficult to notice black mold compared to other mold colonies. Usually, you can find black mold where there are hidden water leaks.

Professional Mold Removal Services

Removing mold — especially black mold — is a delicate process. Improper removal can inadvertently release spores and mycotoxins into the air, risking cross-contamination with other parts of your house and further putting you and your family at risk for respiratory damage.

The best way to remove mold from your property is with a pressure washer that uses an appropriate chemical solution. The power of high-pressure-released water is incredibly strong and should be handled by an experienced professional to ensure no damage is done to your home.

In Florida’s humid climate, mold is something to be especially concerned with. Miami’s humidity and stagnant water are the perfect concoction for a residential mold headache.
Let Ultra Pressure Cleaning apply our extensive knowledge and experience to your benefit. With our careful touch, we can help restore the surfaces afflicted by mold to their original condition — or better! Don’t risk exposing your household to the harmful effects of black mold. Call us at 305-310-9706 for a free quote today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us Today!